The BeginningReads program supports teachers, parents, and tutors in bringing children into reading. Before children learn about written language, they have developed a substantial oral language word bank. The goal of BeginningReads is to connect student’s oral language knowledge with written language. The texts do this by placing a premium on words that are both highly concrete and phonetically regular—words such dog, cat, pet, and big. Each level has 12 4-page books that share a set of concepts, which allows young readers to see the same words in many different texts. Each book is provided as a double-sided PDF ready for printing.
BeginningReads is also available as iBook on iTunes!
Download BeginningReads free printable texts:
Don’t miss out on the additional resources that support BeginningReads:
Toolkit for Tutors, a tutoring guide for BeginningReads texts:
- word cards for vocabulary instruction,
- text-only texts of BeginningReads to facilitate close reading and further vocabulary instruction,
- Reader’s Theater to extend the learning by providing another opportunity to utilize skills and vocabulary words learned in the BeginningReads program.
- Tutoring guide for BeginningReads, FYI for Kids, SummerReads, and Talking Points for Kids.
- Uses resources found in ToolKit for Tutors and Teach Your Child Lessons